Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Inquiry Learning in Room 2

Personally I feel fortunate that I spent six months completing a paper in Action Learning because it helped me to intepret what Inquiry Learning is. It is not a matter of children writing a question and being let loose to find the information.
I needed to go through the steps thoroughly and do exercises in the steps to get the processes in place. It is on going teaching / learning. Eg. Deciding on an area of interest, Questioning skills and levels of questions, Where to find information, How to make notes then write into their own words, How to access information (parts of books), Managing time, Researching, Presentation skills, Bibliography, Evaluating.
After each homework inquiry I find the need to reteach / elaborate on some of hte inquiry processes. During term 1 on average there were 6 pupils who did not hand in an inquiry every two weeks. The pupils improved each time on their level of questioning, researching and presentation. I have had some excellent results from some pupils but very little effort on the other hand from a handful of pupils. I have rung the parents recently to explain what is expected and had good discussions as some supposedly didn't know about it so have not been reading or maybe not getting their newsletters or the children have not been telling their parents.
Those children who have been consistent with doing their homework have embraced it and obviously enjoyed it. Hopefully the rest will cotton on. Their inquiry processes are improving. I have set up a system to record what questions the children have inquired and monitored when it is handed in.
I am unsure how to mark the Inquiry so simply write a comment giving praise or suggesting improvements. A rubric will help.
In class Inquiry I have found difficult with my special needs children and low readers as I need to guide their questioning and research / read with them and even write for them. G.B. Room 2

No comments: